ETS Shoutbox
ETS-Clan ShoutBox [Join Us]
symbols: 200

Menu

Home Forums News Download Clan Members Photos Contact Us Site Info Donate Banlist

Login form

Search

Join us!

Statistics

Top forum users

Sokol
Posts 996
Hunter
Posts 910
Night
Posts 514

SWAT 4 In-game advertising - Forum - Elite Tactical Squad

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: _NISSAN_, Hunter  
Forum » General chat » Chat » SWAT 4 In-game advertising
SWAT 4 In-game advertising
Sokol Date: Thursday, 2012-09-13, 5:49 PM | Message # 1
General
Group: Clan Manager
Xfire username: dariocod2
Here is something interesting that I've discovered today.

Copied from : http://induktio.net/wiki/In-game_advertising

"Version 1.1 patch to SWAT 4 introduced in-game real advertisements (more info) which are also present in the TSS. The system was supplied by Massive Incorporated. The advertisements are downloaded transparently in the background using HTTP. No user permission is ever asked and, on some maps, previous fictional posters are replaced with new ads. The software passes back to Massive's server lots of information regarding the playing sessions, for example unique user identifiers, how long the ads were watched and even average viewing angles!

If you wish the disable this 'functionality', the server can be prevented from being contacted by modifying your computer's DNS resolving system.
Place the following lines in %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows:
127.0.0.1 madserver.net
127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net
Now the software will just attempt to connect your local computer when getting the ads - and get no response. Additionally you can take extra precautions if you have a firewall that can block application specific connections. You could block all the outgoing connections of Swat4.exe and Swat4X.exe to remote TCP port 80 (http)."

So basically, while you are playing, some ad company is gathering infos about their ads from the game. This could mean that some lags could have been caused by this 'communication' between ad company and the game itself. But the game is very old now and Sierra isn't making any new games so I doubt this communication still exists. I doubt the ad company that made contract with Sierra or with whomever still exists.Nevertheless it's a nice find I think. I myself have made the change in Hosts file and I was able to connect to a server without any problems.
I wonder if this will have any effect in-game though. tongue

You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets.

SucceededKiller Date: Thursday, 2012-09-13, 8:45 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Webmaster
Xfire username: succeededkiller
It is the same company from R6V. biggrin Although I never remember seeing real ads in SWAT 4. :S http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20019094-248.html

Alla vill till himmelen men ingen vill dö

captain Date: Thursday, 2012-09-13, 8:59 PM | Message # 3
Major general
Group: Clan Member
Xfire username:
Interesting....

ANDY Date: Thursday, 2012-09-13, 9:15 PM | Message # 4
Major general
Group: Clan Member
Xfire username: P1A2D3D4Y5
Yea I think it's a Marketing scheme of some kind. But yes the people receiving information no longer are around so no need to worry. The game is way to old and the company listening dumped along side Sierra.
Also this used to cause game crash's back in the day when the game was new and lots of people used to play.. ad's would interrupt the game process and crash it to the desktop with error codes.

Maybe it used to cause connection lags also but not anymore since there is no more communication in-bound or out-bound from the game except server information so all should be good now of days.

Forum » General chat » Chat » SWAT 4 In-game advertising
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Latest threads

Server statistics