ETS Shoutbox
ETS-Clan ShoutBox [Join Us]
symbols: 200

Menu

Home Forums News Download Clan Members Photos Contact Us Site Info Donate Banlist

Login form

Search

Join us!

Statistics

Top forum users

Sokol
Posts 996
Hunter
Posts 910
Night
Posts 514

Ghost Recon Tactics (leadership, formations, planning, etc.) - Forum - Elite Tactical Squad

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Sokol, _NISSAN_  
Forum » General chat » Games » Ghost Recon Tactics (leadership, formations, planning, etc.)
Ghost Recon Tactics (leadership, formations, planning, etc.)
captain Date: Monday, 2012-09-10, 10:42 PM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Clan Member
Xfire username:
Hey guys. As many of you know, Ghost Recon is one of our favorite Non-swat games. When we first started playing around the start of the summer, we quickly figured out that while some of our same tactics with swat worked (usually in urban settings and building entries) we needed new tactics to compensate for the different gameplay and more importantly, the vastness of the maps.

In our original Ghost Recon thread we had started a discussion about new tactics that we were developing in game, but sort of got distracted by playing the game itself LOL! biggrin

I think we should have a separate thread to reignite our discussion. So here I go......

I'm going to start by reposting the "leadership system" we set up for the game.

From the original Ghost Recon thread:

............................................................................................................................................ .....................................

The following is a summary of the command structure we have set up since we started playing GR Co-OP.

Unlike swat, the maps are wide open areas, so even if the teams are together all the time it often requires the teams to head off in certain directions. And the leader can't check helmet cams or come over to another groups location so easily because of distance and the fact that the teams are in some maps constantly under fire from enemies that are often hidden.

So because of this we gradually came up with a system during gameplay, where large teams (about 6 or more players) have an overall commander who has ultimate control over the element...............

There are three teams built in the game: Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie. The commandercan assign each player to one of the teams.

The commander then chooses one person in each team to be the squad leader.

The squad leaders are given orders by the element commander. Once each team is given there orders, the squad leaders are responsible for leading their teams in carrying out the assigned objective. This includes telling the soldiers in their teams what position to take, how fast or slow they should move, what targets to attack, and giving reports to the element commander (who can alter or assign new orders accordingly).

In addition, players appointed to be squad leaders can (and by all means should) give suggestions to theelement leader as to what equipment the men in the team should take before the start of each round. The final decision on equipment are the element leaders, and he can approve the suggestions of his squad leaders or choose the layout of the element himself. For example: the element leader may want one team to be all snipers or all riflemen. How much the element leader micromanages the equipment makeup can vary from each mission. He may come upon a mission where he thinks he knows the exact layout of what the element should be and assign the soldier classes accordingly, or he may come upon a mission where he feels it best to let the appointed squad leaders decide their own teams makeup.

Thecommander is also going to be placed in one of the squads by the server at the start. The commander can choose to take direct control of the squad he himself his in (which is usually the case) or he can still assign his squad a leader and act independently from the rest of the element, I imagine it will all depend on the leadership style of the player who happens to be serving as the element commander at that moment and which mission is being played.

It could also depend on the number of players that are on the server at the time. For example: if you have a 7-man element, it might be best for the commander to fill Alpha and Bravo with the other six players and then take the lone Charlie position. Or in an 8-man element he can have the one other Charlie player take direct orders from him. And finally in a full 9-man element, he can take direct control of Charlie squad while issuing orders to the other two, or choose to act independently from Charlie and appoint one of the other two charlie soldiers as the squad leader who then manages the third soldier. This allows the commander to manage all three squads at once while not have to worry about the details of his own.

Smaller elements usually require the commander to take direct control of the whole element, since an element of 5 or less is easier to micromanage.

Again alot of details will depend on the commanders own style.

What do you guys think?

Any changes need to be made?

Any questions about the structure?

............................................................................................................................................ .....................................

Something I will add to my original post.....It has often been our hope to be able to assemble a team larger than 9 since the game allows up to at least 16. Teams that end up this large may require another kind of command structure. I described our system for small and medium to large teams. But teams that exceed 9 and range from about 12 to 16 will probably need different systems. For example we may simply split the team into two (or even three) elements instead of just one, kind of like we do with Swat. Or we could simply find some other way to structure them.

Any suggestions?

Other things we should discuss include of course formations, attack patterns, etc. But we should also post suggestions of mission planning (this includes Equipment and what objectives to hit first). One of the great things about this game is that most missions are less linear than your normal modern FPS, allowing you to take different paths to victory. As such it's possible to plan the entire mission at the start if you have a good idea of the layout.

Well guys, what suggestions do you have?

Message edited by captain - Monday, 2012-09-10, 11:00 PM

ANDY Date: Tuesday, 2012-09-11, 2:55 PM | Message # 2
Major general
Xfire username: P1A2D3D4Y5
I think it's perfect Captain. Couldn't of said it better my self.
To do with formations we also seem to use line formation, or bounce formation.
Because most tactical players already know these formations they seem to auto use them
without thinking. So formations kind of take care of them self's since we have an experienced team.

Attack patterns can vary from mission to mission. Again because we play with Pro player "most of the time" people usually setup in a certain formation that can best bend to our advantage, without much
time wasting or too many people moving around. Line formation in prone usually.

Or we can try Panzer formation. 2 man teams 100 yards left to right surround the targets b4 we open fire. Using this formation can take time to setup since players need to walk some distance to get into position behind and beside the targets, this prevents runners, and stops them from being able to shoot back. One thing to watch out for this formation is "Friendly Fire" / Cross Fire.

You need to know 100% where your team mates are across from you to make sure you don't shoot the enemy then start firing on your friends or by mistake take them for enemy targets. Again 100 yards is a bit of a distance so seeing team names above the head is not always possible.

Mission Planning is done toooo quick in this game I think. We have the Intel, we have the Map, we have
team positions, why rush objective to objective. To much I see enemy firing at us in-game,
their not even meant to know we're there!. So rushing gets us spotted most of the time.
We can scout the whole map b4 we plan assaults. Of course part by part.

Example: Head to Objective A-1. Set up 3 teams or 2 around the target area "If an airstrip or some area that can be surrounded". in Panzer formation. Scout enemy targets and weapons.
Leaders report back to Command. Command can then tell us how to take the objective in stead of the players telling the commander. You have the map, weapons, objective and sometimes even enemy positions marked out for you by team mates "Reason we scout"

With all this information and intel above, there is not reason that the Commander couldn't 100% setup an attack on these places that would destroy everyone. If he cant then he needs to switch games hehe.
Also of course enemy pop out of nowhere in this game so people do still get spotted and shot at, that's just the nature of the game I guess, you cant control every enemy so shit happens.
But we can try to manage it to a degree.

Apart from this man everything you said above is 100% amazing for me. Great work boss.

Message edited by ANDY - Tuesday, 2012-09-11, 3:01 PM

Sokol Date: Wednesday, 2012-09-12, 5:58 PM | Message # 3
General
Group: Clan Manager
Xfire username: dariocod2
Here's my post from previous thread:

Quote (captain)
What do you guys think?

Very well written wink
Absolutely agree with your ,shall we call it, guide.

Quote (captain)
Any changes need to be made?

Not at all.I think you covered pretty much everything when it comes to Command structure.

Quote (captain)
Any questions about the structure?

Nop biggrin

Quote (captain)
Any confusion over my long post?

I don't know about others but I understood everything.As I said,very well written.

Captain, it would be nice if you could save it as a text document and keep it somewhere on your pc.So that later you can add even more content.
I shall try and write a "guide" that will cover different aspect of this game.Perhaps formations or duties in-game.So that in near future we could form our own Tactical Guide for Ghost Recon biggrin

You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets.

$aInT Date: Wednesday, 2012-09-12, 6:19 PM | Message # 4
Major general
Xfire username: saint777888
Who does not have the mod yet heres the link and download the patch number 2 from discription there http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php?act=view&id=538

Forum » General chat » Games » Ghost Recon Tactics (leadership, formations, planning, etc.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Latest threads

Server statistics