ETS Shoutbox
ETS-Clan ShoutBox [Join Us]
symbols: 200

Menu

Home Forums News Download Clan Members Photos Contact Us Site Info Donate Banlist

Login form

Search

Join us!

Statistics

Top forum users

Sokol
Posts 996
Hunter
Posts 910
Night
Posts 514

Nvidia Driver 295.73 - Forum - Elite Tactical Squad

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: _NISSAN_  
Forum » General chat » Help » Nvidia Driver 295.73 (Word of Warning)
Nvidia Driver 295.73
Apache Date: Sunday, 2012-02-26, 10:33 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Clan friends
Xfire username: apachekitten
If updating nvidia drivers, install 295.51 instead of the new 295.73, the 295.73 is having GPU kernel crashes in various games, SWAT is one of them, installing older driver fixes kernel crashes.

Unclear as to what nvidia did to cause this crash, just avoid the driver and you should be fine. People are reporting same issue in other games (dirt3 comes to mind) so it's the driver not the game.

Some people suggested (on nvidia's forum) this was due to an overclock, having de-clocked to test and had a kernel crash i can definitively tell you an overclock is NOT the cause of kernel crashes in this driver set.

Struis Date: Sunday, 2012-02-26, 10:36 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: Server admin
Xfire username: Struis1
Thx for the warning. I have an nvidia graphics card (GTX570) aswell but I haven't updated the the new drivers yet... so I'm glad you made this post. Does it affect all nvidia graphics cards or just certain models?

Message edited by Struis - Sunday, 2012-02-26, 10:36 PM

Sokol Date: Sunday, 2012-02-26, 10:36 PM | Message # 3
General
Group: Clan Manager
Xfire username: dariocod2
Where were you this morning when I installed it? xD

I played Swat 4 tss and Saints Row : The third and I haven't experienced any problems.

Guess I'm lucky smile

You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets.

Apache Date: Sunday, 2012-02-26, 11:02 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant
Quote (Struis)
Thx for the warning. I have an nvidia graphics card (GTX570) aswell but I haven't updated the the new drivers yet... so I'm glad you made this post. Does it affect all nvidia graphics cards or just certain models?

It's unclear, some people remain 100% unaffected, other's see constant crashes. I'm the latter. Seems 20-80 fine-crashes.

Quote (Sokol)
Where were you this morning when I installed it? xD

I played Swat 4 tss and Saints Row : The third and I haven't experienced any problems.

Guess I'm lucky smile

Your one of the lucky few, around 20% of people are getting no issues. The rest of us are, which card are you using?

reyb Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 2:02 AM | Message # 5
Major
Group: Clan Member
Xfire username:
Whoa, I was really shocked when i just read this and I immidiately checked my driver (have 295.73 installed) cause I updated it recently.

Seems like I'm among those 20% either, since I haven't noticed anything to crash or even run unstable. I guess it might depend from the graphics card, i got a GTX560 Ti. Maybe the newer cards got enough processing power to be protected from overclock, so i think the driver lets systems with older Nvidia cards crash, I'm not quite sure though.

Anyway thanks for the information smile

EDIT:

LoL sorry im tired, but overclock was the first thing coming into my mind when getting to know about the problems. Anyways, i think it could depend on how old your card is.

Message edited by reyb - Monday, 2012-02-27, 2:10 AM

Shadowhunt Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 9:28 AM | Message # 6
Major
Xfire username:
Does the new driver affect FPS? I downloaded the new driver and I had some increased performance on the newer games like Mass Effect 3 and heavily decreased performance on older games like SWAT 4.

Apache Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 11:15 AM | Message # 7
Lieutenant
Quote (Shadowhunt)
Does the new driver affect FPS? I downloaded the new driver and I had some increased performance on the newer games like Mass Effect 3 and heavily decreased performance on older games like SWAT 4.

No mention in patch notes, only in skyrim is there a performance increase.

It's possible that the driver's calls have been tweaks to work for newer games at the expense of older ones (which would explain the crashes.)

Does anyone who isn't getting crashes have an overclocked card? Perhaps the driver hates overclocked cards more for some reason. =o

EDIT: Could anyone with the new driver do food wall restaurant for me, just before the door with the stairs is where i get the kernel crash, curious if same situation would cause a crash.

Message edited by Apache - Monday, 2012-02-27, 11:24 AM

Shadowhunt Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 11:50 AM | Message # 8
Major
Xfire username:
yeah i can do it for you, be back in a min smile

Added (2012-02-27, 11:50 AM)
---------------------------------------------
I just checked and I didn't experience any crash

Apache Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 12:31 PM | Message # 9
Lieutenant
Must just be a call failure then.

Shadow could you go into nvidia control panel and force AA and AF on swat for me? This is the only non-default tweak i have aside from overclocking which has already been ruled out.

Specifically set:

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
Antialiasing - mode - override any application setting
Antialiasing - setting - 32x CSAA
texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation - off
texture filtering - negative LOD bias - clamp
texture filtering - Quality - high quality
texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation - off
Triple buffering - on
Vertical sync - Force on

You can add swat 4 under program settings to avoid changing globals.

Shadowhunt Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 12:50 PM | Message # 10
Major
Xfire username:
I'm not sure where you found those settings I can't find them in my Nvidia control panel

Added (2012-02-27, 12:40 PM)
oh wait nevermind, found it

Added (2012-02-27, 12:43 PM)
Be back in a min, changed all the settings you mentioned above gonna try them out now smile

Added (2012-02-27, 12:50 PM)
Alright, still no crash on that map. However the performance felt a bit unstable. I shouldn't experience any lack of performance with my GPU (got the GTX 560)

Apache Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 12:53 PM | Message # 11
Lieutenant
Quote (Shadowhunt)
Alright, still no crash on that map. However the performance felt a bit unstable. I shouldn't experience any lack of performance with my GPU (got the GTX 560)

It's 32x AA and 16x AF, your going to feel lag unless your running SLI or pulling a 580 out. (SLI 470's for me, so no such issues. =) )

Clearly it's not a problem with settings then, must just be a crappy driver release. I'll update when they bring out a new one (which with this many issues, won't be long i suspect.)

Shadowhunt Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 12:57 PM | Message # 12
Major
Xfire username:
What GPU have you got Apache? Maybe older cards causes the crashes

Added (2012-02-27, 12:57 PM)
I do believe it's the drivers too, as I'm not the only one experiencing lack of performance in different kind of games, they had no problems with them before they got the new driver release. So just go by the beta drivers you mentioned above (295.51 )

Apache Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 1:05 PM | Message # 13
Lieutenant
I have two GTX 470's running in SLI with 33% overclocks on each with a zalman cooler.

I am currently using 295.51 to avoid crashes, skyrim doesn't seem any slower so nothing lost anyway.

Come on nvidia, fix the bloody driver already.

_NISSAN_ Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 1:05 PM | Message # 14
Colonel
Group: Server admin
Xfire username: nissan3000
*MOVED*

Probably the most evil admin here >:D

Shadowhunt Date: Monday, 2012-02-27, 1:11 PM | Message # 15
Major
Xfire username:
Ok that's odd, just installed the drivers you told me to get and the games I had like 18FPS on has been increased to 80 FPS on the same locations where I had problems before. So I believe Nvidia failed with the new drivers. So I really hope they fix it ASAP

Forum » General chat » Help » Nvidia Driver 295.73 (Word of Warning)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Latest threads

Server statistics